York Announce Cancellation of Dante Meeting


York racecourse have been the next track to be hit hard by the current situation as they have now announced the cancellation of the Dante meeting that is highly anticipated every season by the major trainers in the sport.

The fixture, which was due to run from May 13 to 15, features Derby and Oaks trials in the Dante and Musidora Stakes, as well as the Yorkshire Cup which over the years have been won by some of the stand out horses of our generation.

However, yesterday the BHA announced that the suspension of racing in Britain will be extended until further notice with May1st set to be the come back date but now it will go on for longer.

With that in mind York have had to cancel next month’s showpiece meeting, with another race day also called off on May 30.

(Credit At The Races) A statement from York racecourse said: “As the Covid-19 crisis has come to affect so many individuals and organisations, it will not be a surprise that racing, as both a sport and an important employer, has too suffered unprecedented consequences.

“Most recently, in following Government advice, the British Horseracing Authority extended the suspension of horse racing nationwide, in front of a crowd, until Sunday, May 31.

“Consequently, this means the cancellation of the four race days scheduled for York Racecourse in May 2020, specifically the Dante Festival and Saturday, May 30.

“Whilst this is a disappointing decision for racegoers, racing professionals, all of us at York Racecourse and many in the wider city, we all appreciate that public health must be everyone’s priority.”

The track will be refunding tickets to people who booked through the racecourse but they are asking customers to transfer the tickets to next seasons meetings.

The statement added: “The revenue from gate receipts is vital to the ongoing well-being of York Racecourse; it helps fund the prize money which regularly attracts the star horses and jockeys and is the life blood of racing stables, it contributes towards the facilities for all to enjoy and keeps together the team that work to deliver the racedays.

“So, we are requesting that our racegoers simply allow us to transfer their existing bookings to May 2021. This would mean a price freeze on what we hope is a regular event and that no further action is required by the customer.”