Trainer Hughie Morrison was left with a sour taste in his mouth on Sunday afternoon, after his flag-bearer Marmelo failed by the narrowest of margins in the Prix Maurice de Nieuil - even following a stewards enquiry.
The six-year-old had been disappointing in the two starts following his return win at Newbury back in April, but returned to Longchamp looking to follow up last year's win in the Group Two 1m6f event.
Andrea Marcialis' Way To Paris pipped last year's Melbourne Cup runner up by a nose at the line on Sunday, but was the subject of some interruption on the turn for home.
Cristian Demuro's mount forced Ryan Moore out onto the centre of the track, and as a result, he had to cover more ground.
The stewards certainly took their time to look through replays on the race, but eventually came to the decision that the placings were to be remained unaltered.
The six-year-old Way To Paris - second in the Prix Vicomtesse Vigier in May, quickened to the front smartly, but had to deal with the relentless challenge the favourite gave as they approached the line.
The British raider was just denied in the final strides, but connections were quick to lodge a formal complaint against the winner.
After the outcome was reviewed, trainer Morrison simply had to accept his fate.
(Credit: RacingTV) He said: “We didn’t get it. Ryan came in, and the first thing he said was he got a bump just after turning in – and it cost him the race.
“We’ve lost so narrowly, and he lost all momentum – it definitely cost him the race. They didn’t say why we hadn’t got it.
“It’s very disappointing. It cost us a critical stride – c’est la vie.”
Moore did gain some much needed rectification later on in the day when Richard Hannon’s Star Terms won the Listed Prix de Thiberville, as well as landing the Group One Grand Prix de Paris aboard Japan for Ballydoyle.
The three-year-old, who was a hefty purchase as a yearling appears to be in the best form of his life, having won the King Edward VII at Royal Ascot three weeks after his third in the Derby.
As a result of his actions, he has been cut to 10/1 from 12's for the Prix de l'Arc de Triomphe back at Longchamp in October.
The son of Galileo is expected to bypass the King George VI at Ascot next weekend, and head for a short summer break.