There’s some history to Goodwood, the origins of this racecourse date back to the 17th century when the first Duke of Richmond purchased a hunting lodge at Goodwood. The second Duke built the stables in 1758, where runners are still accommodated to this day.
It was the third Duke of Richmond who launched flat horse racing here in 1802. Over the centuries, events, weddings and fantastic horse racing fixtures have abounded at historic Goodwood. The first two-day outing was such a success that the following year saw the introduction of a three-day event.
In more modern times Goodwood has grown into a popular race meeting, with some 55,000 spectators attending popular July meeting’s.
The course maintains an essential English charm, and with the efforts of the current Duke, with his son, the atmosphere and character look to be maintained and enhanced to their fullest potential.