Haydock's Saturday Card In Jeopardy With Ascot Confident Of Being On


Haydock racecourse have announced that it is unlikely their proposed day of racing on Saturday will go ahead with Storm Cristoph causing parts of the track to be waterlogged.

The merseyside track will have to pass an 8am inspection if it is to go ahead with racing on the weekend, with a stellar card set to take place which includes three Grade Two events, including the return of dual Champion Hurdle winner Buveur D'Air.

The track are hoping more than ever for one of their feature meetings of the year to be on but with 40mm of rain falling throughout Monday and Tuesday and a further 20mm supposed to on Wednesday, things are not looking good.

To top things off Thursday and Friday is also supposed to see more rain fall on the course and that will come with sub-zero temperatures on Friday night, which is only going to harm the track.

(Credit Racing Post) Clerk of the course Kirkland Tellwright said: "You have to be realistic about these things, and even the most optimistic of clerks wouldn't be positive on this one. We've had 55mm over the last of couple of days and today is forecast to be another very wet day and thereafter.

"Places of the track are waterlogged now, but we want to see where we are tomorrow morning and we'll go from there."

Another track that has been disrupted due to the bad weather is Ffos LAs in Wales who will undergo an inspection at 3pm on Wednesday ahead of its meeting on Friday.

On a more positive note, Ascot, who host the best card of the week in Britain with the 2021 renewal of the Grade One Clarence House Chase, are expected to be on with the Clerk of the course positive.

"We had 1.2mm of rain overnight and 2mm yesterday so there's no change to the ground at this stage," clerk of the course Chris Stickels said.

"It's raining this morning and we're forecast between 12-15mm up to Thursday night, but after that it clears up. It's forecast to get a bit colder on Friday and we may have an overnight frost on raceday morning. I would have thought the ground will be soft, heavy in places if we have the full 15mm in the next couple of days."